-->

27 September 2015

DECIDUOUS


So a while ago, I made this skirt. It is a simple Ankara material box pleated skirt with a leather waist band. I made it for International Day at my school and received many positive comments. I also wore it to church for an African presentation to launch the African evening soon happening at my church in November. Wearing Ankara or any other native/ traditional material in public has always been something that has been secretly looked down apon for years but now is becoming a popular thing in today’s fashion. Dashikis are very popular among all races and cultures and Ankara material is being used in everyday fashion eg. crop top. However this can be easily mislead and start the cultural appropriation argument as something for someone’s culture is being taken and used a costume and its original meaning is lost and the entire cultural heritage behind it is lost and in some cases abused.
 
To an extent I agree, with celebrities like RiffRaff and Miley Cyrus who use these things as a costume, I can see where the frustration is coming from. I can understand why people would be mad when someone has discussed a culture or race as a negative thing then uses the things from that culture or race as a fashion statement or costume. However in a way, sharing cultural heritage with other races and cultures and educating them, is a key to the door of equality. By "sharing" (well that’s not the ideal word) these things, it can be one way to eliminate the negative views associated with them. Also to those who literally think that things should ONLY be with groups of people e.g. only black people should have cornrows? I understand what you are thinking however this doesn’t let the world move on. By saying these things you creating groups, by having groups it makes it easier for people to be singled out and then looked down upon. Then this does not help the situation at all.

Anyway after my little rant/speech/reality check, this is the skirt that I made. I wear it all the time and was super easy to make. Remember to follow the blog, leave comments, share and follow the social media links below.... ALSO this week I have had views from Nigeria and South Africa so wassup to my Africans west and south. I almost have regular views from almost all the continents apart from South America and Australasia but I know you guys are just pending so I'll allow you lot. Anyway to stop me from rambling on here you go....Stay Stylish






Pretty scenery at park


Fed the birds as you do

 Deciduous
-TheBlackSnowQueen

2 comments: